[FLASH-USERS] Open faculty position at Alabama in astrophysical transients

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Tue Nov 26 15:34:49 EST 2019

Hello,

I wanted to point out our open junior faculty position at Alabama this
year.  While much of our astronomy group works on galaxies, the search
is more general.  There is particular interest in transients, including
galaxy, stellar, and planetary-related ones.  See details below and at
the link and forward if you know someone who might be interested.

Thanks for your time,

Dean

https://jobregister.aas.org/ad/3fcf6c9b

The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Alabama
invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of
assistant professor in astronomy and astrophysics. The successful
candidate will be engaged in observational and/or theoretical studies
which are aligned with and extend current research in the group. These
fields include formation of galaxies and large-scale structure,
formation of the first stars, structure and evolution of galaxies,
stellar explosions, variable stars, active galactic nuclei, and
high-energy emission from black holes, neutron stars, galaxies, and
clusters of galaxies. We are particularly interested in applicants
working in time-domain astronomy (such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts,
accretion phenomena around massive black holes, exoplanet observations,
and new types of astrophysical transients). The appointment will begin
August 16, 2020.  In addition to faculty working in observational and
theoretical astrophysics, we have related research groups in
astroparticle physics (IceCube, VERITAS, CTA), experimental particle
physics (dark matter detection, CERN), experimental nuclear physics and
theoretical particle physics. The UA astronomy group is part of the SARA
consortium, remotely operating 1-meter telescopes at 3 sites, and
operates its own well-equipped 0.4m telescope locally.  More information
about the department can be found on the department's website
physics.ua.edu.