[FLASH-USERS] Adaptive timestep

Sean M. Couch couch at pa.msu.edu
Tue Oct 1 11:33:59 EDT 2019

Hi Mateusz,

I will venture my view of this and others can chime in if they have a different opinion. Also, I’m assuming by adaptive timestep you mean sub-cycling in time where different refinement levels take different time steps?

For FLASH5, we are transitioning to the AMReX package. AMReX is built on the idea of time sub-cycling so in principle, we could utilize that. For that matter, PARAMESH was also built to allow time sub-cycling, we just never used it. As of now, for the solvers we are porting to FLASH5/AMReX we are still making the assumption of a single global time step. This simplifies things considerably. But I am of the opinion that, eventually, we should implement time sub-cycling and take advantage of what AMReX offers in that regard. This, however, will not likely be a feature available from the outset.

Now, what might speed things along is capable developers willing to lend a hand in the implementation ;)

Sean

Sean M. Couch, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering
Facility for Rare Isotope Beams
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd, 3260 BPS
East Lansing, MI 48824