[FLASH-USERS] [EXTERNAL] Re: Adaptive timestep

Carlo Graziani carlo at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 1 12:38:45 EDT 2019

At the level of overheard cocktail-party chitchat, I recall a discussion
of subcycling in Flash in which the assertion was made that for oct-tree
AMR the efficiency gains from subcycling are expected to be minor.

The reasoning, which seemed plausible, was that in a typical 3-D
simulation the blocks at the highest level of refinement outnumber other
blocks by a large factor, so that reducing the computational load due to
less-refined blocks by updating them less frequently doesn't drop the
time-to-solution by very much.  This was the reason adduced for not
making subcycling development a high priority.

Is this no longer believed to be the case?

Carlo

--
Carlo Graziani                                 (630) 252-1543 (Voice)
Argonne National Laboratory