[FLASH-USERS] Open MPI error during refinement

Claude Cournoyer-Cloutier cournoyc at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 8 11:50:44 EDT 2019

Dear FLASH users,

I am using FLASH, coupled with the astrophysics code AMUSE, to model star formation in clusters and cluster formation. I am able to run a test version of my simulation, but encounter some issues with refinement when I am trying to run a more involved version — with the same parameters, but a higher possible refinement.

During refinement, I get the following output (truncated) and error message:

 refined: total blocks =          585
  iteration, no. not moved =            0         323
  iteration, no. not moved =            1          27
  iteration, no. not moved =            2           0
 refined: total leaf blocks =         2311
 refined: total blocks =         2641
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 45 in communicator MPI COMMUNICATOR 4 SPLIT FROM 0
with errorcode 4.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.

From a few discussions I’ve had, I think the issue might have something to do with the spreading of the blocks on different processors — but I cannot find anything useful online. Have any of you encountered that error, or a similar error in the past ?

Best regards,

Claude