[FLASH-USERS] Target expansion, adjustEvolution.F90 for bdry_var

Aodhan McIlvenny amcilvenny01 at qub.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 11:36:25 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a bit of assistance and found some useful
information in forum however I am struggling to implement it in the
FLASH code. Since I want to look at the effect of a PW laser pedestal on
a thin foil, (100-1000nm), I am looking at low laser powers over a few
ns before reaching intensities of 10^16w/cm^2 for a few ps. This is fine
however the problem which has been described is the expansion of the
target due to the solid-vacuum interface leading to some motion despite
zero temperature. See:

http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2019-April/002869.html

http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2014-March/001427.html

So i get a significant uniform expansion of the target over a few ns
which is quite unphysical. As mentioned in these replies, a workaround
is to set the BDRY_VAR to 1 inside the solid and only set it to -1 when
the temperature inside the cell is greater than some threshold. I have
initialised the solid as such however I am not sure how to call this
information in the adjustEvolution.F90 function to first test the cell
temperature and then changing the BDRY to -1 as appropriate.

I am currently working with the laserslab problem in 2D cartesian. I
would greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone could provide!

All the best,

Aodhan