[FLASH-USERS] gamc divergence at interface for laser/matter interaction

Galtier, Eric Christophe egaltier at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 7 12:55:38 EDT 2020

Hi Klaus,

Sorry for taking this long to answer your email. I have identified and fix the problems I had on my simulation by following your advice and look more carefully on the EOS.

The weird gamc oscillation I had came from a too low-resolution EOS grid for the target material. Once I increased the density point by an order of magnitude, the oscillations were replaced by smooth evolution of the index as a function of pressure and density and the simulation could proceed. Also, the initial conditions of the material needed to be adapted to the EOS to prevent the negative pressures of cold and solid density from affecting the initialization phase. The ambient temperature conditions were set to the minimum value that was producing a non-negative pressure at the initial solid density, so about 4000K in my case instead of 293K at ambient, but since the plasma evolves up to some few keV temperature, it is not a problem or a limitation in my running conditions. I believe these negative pressures in cold solid matter are not uncommon with this type of plasma EOS and maybe there could be a setting in the configuration file, like a temperature threshold, at which hydro starts and allows for expansion. Alternatively, maybe the minimum temperature at which the pressure is non-negative could be set automatically since the code has access to the complete EOS table.

Despite these fixes, the 'negative sound speed' problem was still preventing completion of the code execution. Always at the same location and independently of the resolution. It happened to also come from the EOS but from the vacuum material this time. To mimic the vacuum, I was using a low density He atmosphere. The low density was not the problem, but rather the opacity constants I was using for it. I had to put them at a value of 1e-5 (absorption, emissivity and transport opacities) for the simulation to converge. I could run as low as 10^-10 g/cc without sign of unhappiness on the results by using these 'vacuum' values.

Now, the simulation runs without problems up to the end of the simulation time and I can shift focus on the analysis of its output.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Eric

---
Dr. Eric Galtier