[FLASH-USERS] Rec. Workflow for Comparing FLASH HDF5 Files

Alberti, Anthony Lewis anthony.alberti at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:32:51 EST 2020

Hello all,

I am working on implementing a reduced-order modeling capability into FLASH and was interested if anyone had a recommended workflow for quantitatively comparing FLASH based HDF5 files – i.e. computing the difference (relative or absolute) between two FLASH HDF5 data sets.

I’m able to output my reduced-order models (ROM) in the standard FLASH HDF5 format and visualize the solutions in Visit. I’ve done qualitative comparisons in Visit between my ROM and the full-order model (FOM) from FLASH, but the process is cumbersome and will become unwieldly in 2/3D (I export 1D data in Visit via “curve” datasets and do the comparison externally).

I’m able to view the HDF5 data structures via Python and Matlab, but it’s not clear to me where the data is actually stored.

Thanks in advance,
Tony Alberti

Tony Alberti
Postdoctoral Scholar
School of Nuclear Science and Engineering
https://ne.oregonstate.edu/tony-alberti