[FLASH-USERS] Error while implementing Multigamma EOS

Marissa Adams marissa at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 30 13:47:01 EST 2020

Hey Nitish,

Note that the error is coming from a file that is from the energy
deposition unit (hence *ed_*), which you probably have not modified. This
implies to me something wrong with your initialization, so thanks for
including those files.

Perhaps you have set up the object directory with the +3t (three
temperature: tele, tion, trad) module for EOS, etc. The Config script you
provided/the one used in the *LaserSlab* problem allows for its usage with
the *#USESETUPVARS ThreeT. *However, in your initialization, you're only
doing so for the electrons.

I also notice that you haven't initialized *zmin* in your *Simulation_initBlock
*routine as well, you probably want to do that. Consider what else is
necessary to initialize for the materials being used and apply that in the
initBlock. The *Simulation_data *and *Simulation_init* routine are
primarily used internally for runtime parameters or allowing access to
internal variables for your Simulation module. The real meat of the problem
is in the *Simulation_initBlock*, where the initial conditions are applied
to the blocks/grid.

Try initializing the ions and radiation temperatures comparable to the
original provided laser problem in *Simulation_initBlock.F90 *and see if it
makes, along with zmin. If so, you know it is a function of having set
up/configured the code to work with the three temperatures
model/unit/module and you need to reconfigure without it.

You'll probably run into more/different errors after, perhaps. I suppose
the EnergyDeposition unit with ray tracing (assuming you're using that)
should work with a 1T model, but I am not sure how that will work out.

So my debugging recipe would be:
0. Did you set up with 3T? Try the same process without the 3T flag.
1. add *zmin = sim_zminCham*, *sim_zminTarg* to the initBlock, and
associated init and data F90s, and see if you can obtain an executable from
there and see if it runs.
2. If it doesn't make an executable with these zmin additions, then try to
see if adding the initialization for all three temperatures still works,
i.e. can you still run LaserSlab. If not, oh no, if yes, then slowly start
to take things apart.

Keep in mind you can do all this work in your object directory, and
you can *./resetup
*and edit the setup_call too for quick debugging/checking.

I hope that kind of makes sense or provides some avenues to explore.

Best,
Marissa

--
%---------------------------------------------%