[FLASH-USERS] [EXTERNAL] USM Advection-only Test

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Thu Jun 4 18:26:19 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies! Interestingly, Eddie's idea of modifying EOS (I'm
using eos_idealGamma) worked pretty well although with reduced stability
(blew up for cfl >= 0.74, worked for cfl <= 0.7). Interestingly, I just
noticed there appears to develop asymmetry orthogonal to the motion with
ForceHydroLimit = .false. and asymmetry parallel to the motion with
ForceHydroLimit = .true. (I was initializing Bx=By=1e-10 so they'd be
dynamically unimportant and plots suggest they didn't change with time).

I was hoping to gain a more fundamental understanding of how FLASH works so
I really appreciate Adam's message! I modified hy_uhd_prim2flx to remove
the pressure terms. That ~worked in that the blob of gas energy density
maintained shape and size (inspected by eye), but the uniformity in density
was broken. Also that was at cfl = 0.1. At higher cfl (say 0.45) there were
ripple artefacts in all variables. The ripples don't blow up but they do
grow in spatial extent, leading to extraneous refinement.

Dean Townsley mentioned offline that I could just set the density profile
based on the gas energy density to initialize my blob in pressure
equilibrium. This worked quite nicely.

I expect the vortex method of balancing out the pressure gradient with
centrifugal force would work just as well.

Thanks again for the help!

Best,
--------
Ryan