[FLASH-USERS] gamc divergence at interface for laser/matter interaction

Galtier, Eric Christophe egaltier at slac.stanford.edu
Sat May 23 17:25:13 EDT 2020

Dear Klaus,

Thanks a lot for your ideas. I attach two screenshots of the code output while I was trying to extract the info you mentioned. The 2D plot shows the value of gamc as a function of time at two different location. In green, it plots the max value in the entire simulation box and in red it shows the value at the center of the laser interaction with the solid. It shows that the negative gamc value happens within the area of the laser interaction. The second screenshot shows the volumetric display of gamc at some time in the simulation history. The red layer is the one at the surface of the material. I was cutting part of the volume to see the interaction at the laser source and that's why there is a 1/4 of the box missing. What this plot shows is that the large change in gamc is not localized to a cell but extends to the entire surface mapped by the material/vacuum interface. Having this large value of gamc at the interface might not seem completely weird since it is a function of the derivative of the pressure vs density and the interface is essentially a gradient. Does it sound reasonable? It also seems that gamc start to be negative very 'abruptly' and goes from a somewhat normal value to a negative value without much intermediate. The laser has its maximum at 500 ps and the tails of the gaussian pulse shape extends all the way down to t=0ps. At 350 ps, the laser intensity is about 1/10 of the peak intensity so there is already some expansion that happened and there should be no specific discontinuities there. I'll keep trying to link it to a pressure point in the EOS. To answer your point 2, the simulation runs ok with this same material and EOS but when I reduce the resolution going from 2.5 mic per cell to 10 mic. So maybe it is more tight to the hydro scheme I'm using rather than the material? Anyway, I'll try to make an Al EOS and check it out as you suggested.

Thanks a lot for your help and have a good weekend!

Eric

---
Dr. Eric Galtier
Matter in Extreme Conditions