[FLASH-USERS] Solaris/SunOS Support?

Jamie Schnaitter jamie.schnaitter at ucf.edu
Sat May 23 18:32:25 EDT 2020

Hello All,

I am quite new to FLASH, so please bear with me. It looks like, following FLASH 2.5, prototypes for Solaris/SunOS are no longer included… Is there a reason for this? I understand that Solaris isn’t really popular in science anymore (nothing other than Linux is these days…), but even FLASH 4.6.2 still includes prototypes for IRIX64 (which is defunct… unlike Solaris), AIX (did this get used much in Science?), and TFLOPS (I guess this ran on ASCI Red? Like 20 years ago?)… I’m sure the overwhelming majority of users are using Linux these days, but I am trying to use some hand-me-down SPARC hardware to run simulations because it was free from another department and has lots of RAM and decent CPUs.  I am planning to take the IRIX or AIX prototypes and modify them for Solaris/SunOS, but I thought this was peculiar and was hoping that someone could shed some light on that. If anybody has any tips for getting this to work on Solaris SPARC, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Jamie Schnaitter
They/them/their
Research Assistant