[FLASH-USERS] How can I modify the LaserSlab example to calculate B fields?

Anthony Raymond raymonda at fusion.gat.com
Wed May 27 14:07:03 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for the help!

I am simply running the LaserSlab and want to keep track of the Biermann battery magnetic field induced by the laser-plasma interaction.

Taking the advice in the manual, I added the following lines to the top of my example.par script:

hy_useBiermann = .true.
hy_biermannSource = .true.
conserveAngField =.true.
shockDetect = .true.

and added +usm3t to the setup script (removing +uhd3t):

./setup -auto LaserSlab -2d +cylindrical -nxb=16 -nyb=16 +hdf5typeio species=cham,targ +mtmmmt +laser +mgd +usm3t mgd_meshgroups=6 -parfile=example.par

At the bottom of the example.par file, I need to somehow tell FLASH to output the magnetic field components. From the manual, it seems like this should be done by adding:

plot_var_10          = "grbx"
plot_var_11          = "grby"
plot_var_12          = "grbz"

I let the simulation run, and am trying to find the magnetic field data in the resulting hdf5 outputs. However, they don't appear to be in there. If I run in h5info(filename) in matlab, I find the datasets for density, temperature, etc., but no magnetic field info.

Could someone please suggest what I might be doing incorrectly?

I've attached the par file that I used to this email.

Thanks and all the best,
Tony