[FLASH-USERS] How can I modify the LaserSlab example to calculate B fields?

Anthony Raymond raymonda at fusion.gat.com
Thu May 28 16:11:15 EDT 2020

Hello all,

If I could resurrect this subject, I'm wondering if someone wouldn't mind guiding me in the right direction regarding a new issue which cropped up: despite activating the Biermann battery calculations and outputting the magnetic field outputs, the outputs are filled with zeros for all components over all time throughout the laserslab simulation.

The .par file is attached to this email, and the setup command used was:

./setup -auto magnetoHD/LaserSlab -2d +cylindrical -nxb=16 -nyb=16 +hdf5typeio species=cham,targ +mtmmmt +laser +mgd +usm3t mgd_meshgroups=6 -parfile=example.par

This represents a simple series of modifications to the original LaserSlab example with the goal of calculating and outputting the magnetic field induced by non-parallel density and temperature gradients, for educational purposes. The LaserSlab directory was copied into the magnetoHD directory as well and run from that location, following advice from another FLASH user.

It was my expectation to see an azimuthal magnetic field surrounding the laser/plasma interaction spot, but I suppose I'm missing something in setting up the simulation.

Just curious if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks and all the best,
Tony