[FLASH-USERS] issues with radiative cooling shocks

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 22 14:16:46 EDT 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020, Tomasz Plewa wrote:

> If there is no timestep limiter due to cooling, implement one following the approach used in Burn_computeDt (or whatever the module name is). You should be able to
> stabilize calculations by limiting the source term contribution to about 10% of the internal energy.

Just adding to that:

The presence of the 'dt_Cool' column in Antoine's output indicates that a
timestep limiter for cooling was in effect; it may just not be aggressive
enough. So you may want to modify the file Cool_computeDt.F90.

There is a hardwired factor of 0.5 in the version that I am looking at;
you may want to change that to a smaller value, and/or add code for
some additional timestep-limiting criteria.