[FLASH-USERS] Computed hydro dt is not positive

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 23 17:59:34 EDT 2020

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020, Acharya, Nitish wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> Some months ago, you emailed me on how gamc is computed per component per material in FLASH as follows:
>
>   eosData(gamc+i) = eosData(tempToUse+i)/eosData(dens+i) * &
>                              eosData(dpt+i)**2 /  eosData(det+i) &
>                            + eosData(dens+i) * eosData(dpd+i)
>
> where dpt represent d Pres / d T, det represents d E / d T, and dpd
> represents d Pres / d rho.  Each of those derivative terms in computed
> from finite differences of values from Pres(T,rho) and E(T,rho) tables.
>
> But how are gamc for each component (ele, ion, rad) initialized in the simulation?

I don't quite understand the question. The quoted text above shows how the
"gamc for each component" are computed. The original message at <URL:
http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2020-May/003179.html>
gives more context, and points to a specific source file.  What else do
you want to know?