[FLASH-USERS] Equation of state error

kyv005 at campus.mephi.ru kyv005 at campus.mephi.ru
Thu Apr 1 13:47:05 EDT 2021

Dear Flash users,

I am trying to run a LaserSlab simulation for my own target material
with the tabulated EoS.

The simulation runs fine for some time, but at some point it starts
throwing 'Eos: negative dE/dT is bad!' errors in the output file, and
then it stops with the following message: 'DRIVER_ABORT:
[hy_uhd_eigenParameters-A]: Zero or imaginary sound speed has obtained!
Please try other (more diffusive) slope limiter, flux, order, cfl, etc.'

I know the problem is with my EoS, since the same simulation runs
without errors if I use the tables from FLASH. However, I cannot figure
out what is wrong with my EoS - there should be no unphysical things
that could possibly lead to negative sound speed and etc. in it. I have
tried several of the suggested options (reducing cfl, changing slope
limiters and etc.), but this did not solve the problem.

So can you, please, help me determine what I might be doing wrong and
how I can avoid these errors?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,

Best regards,
Iurii K.