[FLASH-USERS] delaying particle initiation

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 2 08:48:52 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there's some way that I can delay particle
initiation. Essentially I'm trying to set up the simulation with
pre-evolution of the environment but I'm only really interested in the
evolution after a certain time. I'm calculating the evolution of dust
particles (I've created a dust unit that evolves the position, velocity,
and mass of the particles) so I don't want them to evolve prior to the main
simulation.

It seems that particle initiation occurs at the start of the simulation via
calls from Driver_initFlash. I wrote my own pt_initPositions and it works
fine to initialize the particles at the beginning of the simulation. I just
don't know how to delay that initialization - though I have some ideas for
kludgy workarounds. I'd appreciate hearing ideas for the proper way to do
this.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division