[FLASH-USERS] boundary conditions and refinement

Thibault Goudal thibault.goudal at u-bordeaux.fr
Sat Apr 10 06:32:02 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,
I''ve been working on 2D FLASH simulations in cartesian geometry with a laser.

On this density map in logarithm scale, a laser hits a modulated target (see the modulation at ~0.030cm) from the bottom at normal incidence.
During the laser irradiation, the target is ablated and ejected through the pseudo vaccum (see the white frame).

My question is: How could I tell FLASH to not refine the region framed?

I noticed in the user guide and previous e-mails by the FLASH community that it exists AMR options such as " refine_cutoff " or " derefine_cutoff " which I think could solve my issue.
I tried to play with it but I haven't see any effects on the refinement.
For my case, the density gradients in the white frame are big enough to be identify by the AMR.
However, the absolute density is quiet low so I guess I could use these informations to tell FLASH that under a certain value in density it should forget what are the gradients and not trigger the AMR refinement.

if refine_var_1 = "dens" , I tried refine_cutoff_1 =1e-5 to blunder the AMR for densities below 1e-5 g/cc but I haven't noticed any consequences.

If you have any idea about how tune the AMR option to solve this kind of issue, let me know!

Have a great week-end

--
Thibault Goudal
PhD Student CEA