[FLASH-USERS] Planetary impact with moving solid projectile

Andrea Zorzi zorzi at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 12 12:34:16 EDT 2021

Dear Flash community,

I am trying to simulate a planetary impact to investigate the interaction between the atmosphere and the vapor plume formed upon impact. The way I would like to do it is to simulate the impact between a spherical solid object onto a solid surface overlain by an atmospheric gaseous layer. I have three questions:

1) Does Flash handle moving objects that are solid? Would it suffice to set the density of this object to be solid-like? I am afraid this is not the case, since other aspect are neglected (e.g. strength model). I am aware of the WindTunnel example, but I need to know what happens to the projectile when subject to high pressures and temperatures from its equation of state, and track the vaporized material.

2) I followed Chapter 3 of the docs to set up my simulation. However, when trying to assign a velocity to the object, the code aborts with an [hydro] error, saying that "the computed time dt is not positive". Attached you can find all the Simulation_*.F90, flash.par and Config files, as well as the log, dat file and command line full output. Am I missing some fundamental understanding of the code?

3) Since there are no analogs among the example problems, and I see just one publication somewhat related to planetary impacts in which Flash was used, has this kind of problem ever been set up with Flash? Does the presence of solid material make Flash unsuitable for such a simulation?

Kind regards,

Andrea Zorzi
PhD student
Geological Sciences Department, Stanford University