[FLASH-USERS] how to force refinement

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 26 09:12:58 EDT 2021

Hi Klaus,

I think you may be right. I had thought that by using gr_lrefineMaxByTime
and setting a higher value of for gr_lrefmaxTimeValue (i.e. a higher value
than the initial one) that the value of lrefine_max would be increased.
However that seems not to be happening. I've used gr_lrefineMaxByTime in
the past to decrease the maximum refinement, but it seems that it doesn't
work in the opposite direction.
I'm not sure what happens to lrefine_max, but when I print it out, I got
some odd value (I printed with format i5 and got ****. Of course I could've
printed it with default formatting.)

Regards,
Jon

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM <flash-users-request at flash.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> From: Klaus Weide <klaus at flash.uchicago.edu>
> To: flash-users <flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu>
> Bcc:
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 18:59:02 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Re: [FLASH-USERS] how to force refinement
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2021, Slavin, Jonathan wrote:
>
> > I realized after posting that the correct way to do this is to have a
> > custom version of Grid_markRefineDerefine.F90 in my simulation directory
> > and include inside of that a call to Grid_markRefineSpecialized. I did
> > that, but for some reason the grid is still not refining in the way I
> want.
> > Print statements inside Grid_markRefineSpecialized and gr_markInRadius
> > indicate that the proper blocks are getting marked for refinement and yet
> > no refinement is being done. I put the call to Grid_markRefineSpecialized
> > at the end of Grid_markRefineDerefine so it should prevent refine and
> > derefine from getting overwritten.
>
> What is the value of 'lref' with which you call Grid_markRefineSpecialized
> from your Grid_markRefineDerefine? How does it relate to lrefine_max?
>
> Note that you can never increase refinement beyond lrefine_max.
>
> Klaus

Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division
Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian
Office: (617) 496-7981 | Cell: (781) 363-0035
60 Garden Street | MS 83 | Cambridge, MA 02138