[FLASH-USERS] [EXT] help needed: too many blocks

Marissa B. P. Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Feb 7 07:39:20 EST 2021

Hi Maksim,

Remember when you did your set up command of -3d? You will want to increase
the number of blocks in the setup command. See Table 5.1 in the User Guide
which can be found on the website. The command you're looking to use is:
-maxblocks=#. If I recall correctly, I think the default is 1000, so you
will want to increase it higher. As you were starting to discover, this
allows enough memory to be allocated to each processor for the number of
blocks desired. As the simulation goes on with time, you may hit this
error due to the wall that has been set up, so to speak. In some ways, it's
utility is meant to protect your system and allocations.

Conversely, if that number is too large for your system, you will want to
decrease it (for any other people looking at the archives in the future and
struggling).

If you don't want to re-setup and make your problem again, you can just
decrease the number of levels of refinement, or initial blocks (nblockx,
nblocky, nblockz) in the *flash.par* at runtime.

Best,
Marissa