[FLASH-USERS] Question about permissions for distributing user-made setups

Don Lamb lamb at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 21 09:44:57 EDT 2021

Dear John,

Thank you for your question.  Any modifications in the FLASH code, even
if it's a simulation setup that modifies files like
Simulation_initBlock, Simulation_data, etc. fall under Section 4 of the
license agreement (see below) and cannot be redistributed anonymously on
github.

Licensed users can, of course, collaborate and share such files in the
context of academic collaborations. If the users would like for their
setup to be distributed to the broader FLASH userbase, we can include it
in future releases in the Simulation directory, with appropriate
attributions to the authors.

4. Modifications and Acknowledgments. Users may make modifications to
the FLASH Code, and they are encouraged to send such modifications to
the Center. Users are not free to distribute the FLASH Code to others,
as noted in Section 3 above. As resources permit, we will incorporate
such modifications in subsequent releases of the FLASH Code, and we
will acknowledge these external contributions. Note that modifications
that do not make it into an officially-released version of the FLASH
Code will not be supported by us.

With warm regards, Don

*  Don Q. Lamb (he/him)                                                *
*  Robert A. Millikan Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus         *
*  Associate Director, Flash Center for Computational Science          *
*  Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics                            *
*    and the Enrico Fermi Institute                                    *
*  Harris School of Public Policy                                      *
*  University of Chicago                                               *
*  5640 South Ellis Avenue                    (773) 350-3838 (Cell)    *
*  Chicago, IL 60637lamb at astro.uchicago.edu   *