[FLASH-USERS] FLASH's python tools

Jian Fuh Ong jianfuh.ong at eli-np.ro
Tue Jun 1 05:04:23 EDT 2021

Hi Ryan,

I just downloaded FLASH4.6 and python setup.py install --user return

  File "setup.py", line 42
    print "RELEASE file not found at " + release_path
                                     ^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("RELEASE file not found at " + release_path)?

The <> operator still appear in utils.py. I am not sure if this python tool also changed to python3. Using python2.7 gives

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 207, in <module>
    run_setup()
  File "setup.py", line 199, in run_setup
    make_bash_completion()
  File "setup.py", line 118, in make_bash_completion
    import flash.flmake.__init__
ImportError: No module named flash.flmake.__init__

I see the flamake lines here.
http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/tools4b/usersguide/output.html# <http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/tools4b/usersguide/output.html#>

All I need to do is to extract the data from hdf5 file for plotting, i.e.

from flash import output
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
x, y, z = output.slice(2, 0.0, 'dens', "<path to chk>")
plt.imshow(z)
plt.show()

Regards,
Jian Fuh