[FLASH-USERS] Fwd: Supersonic Turbulence using the PPM method

Tristan juwj at mail2.sysu.edu.cn
Mon Jun 7 22:47:34 EDT 2021

Hi, Christoph:
	Thank you for your advice, I tried your advice to reduce the cfl and set nriem =1000, it works better than before.But the artificial viscosity of PPM is a little large. And the larger mach number couldn’t be achieved yet.  I heard that the artificial viscosity of un_split method is little. But I can only run  StirFromFile at 3 mach number with the un_split method. If I improved the st_energy, the program broke down and output “Nan”
I list some features I used in the un_split method:

```
order		= 2      # Interpolation order (first/second/third/fifth order)
slopeLimiter    = "limited"   # Slope limiters (minmod, mc, vanLeer, hybrid, limited)
LimitedSlopeBeta= 1.     # Slope parameter for the "limited" slope by Toro
charLimiting	= .true. # Characteristic limiting vs. Primitive limiting

use_avisc	= .false. # use artificial viscosity (originally for PPM)
#cvisc		= 0.1     # coefficient for artificial viscosity
use_flattening	= .true. # use flattening (dissipative) (originally for PPM)
use_steepening	= .false. # use contact steepening (originally for PPM)
use_upwindTVD	= .false. # use upwind biased TVD slope for PPM (need nguard=6)

#	II. RIEMANN SOLVERS:
RiemannSolver	= "HLLC"       # Roe, HLL, HLLC, LLF, Marquina
entropy         = .false.     # Entropy fix for the Roe solver

#	III. STRONG SHOCK HANDELING SCHEME:
shockDetect	= .true.     # Shock Detect for numerical stability
shocklowerCFL   = .true.
```

I also attached the flash.par and the output file for you to check my work.

Our purpose is to run the code at 10 mach number. I wonder if you changed the Solver yourself to make the code stable or just use solver in the flash4. If the latter, could you please give some advice about the features and the solver you used?

If everyone have some suggestion about the high mach number using the un_split method in the Stir unit. Please connect me!
Thank you all!
Best wishes!