[FLASH-USERS] photoionization in FLASH

Mordecai-Mark Mac Low mordecai at amnh.org
Thu Jun 24 11:13:33 EDT 2021

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:13:21 +0000
From: Celine Hue <celine.hue at weizmann.ac.il<mailto:celine.hue at weizmann.ac.il>>

Dear Flash users,
I am writing to ask about the ways to simulation photoionizations in FLASH. I have gone through the user guide, it seems that the actual ionization methods implemented in FLASH are by collision temperatures. Is there any modules about photoionization? Or, is there someone have experiences about how to implement it?
Thank you a lot
C?line

Dear Céline,

The MORAY method of ray-tracing for photoionization relying on HEALPIX pixellation of the sphere (Wise & Abel 2009) was implemented into Flash in the FERVENT module (Baczynski et al. 2015).  A simplified version of this algorithm (only following H photoionization) is included in the TORCH framework, which integrates Flash into the Astrophysical Multipurpose Software Environment (AMUSE) alongside N-body and stellar evolution codes (Wall et al. 2019, 2020).  Torch is publicly available at https://torch-sf.bitbucket.io/, and we invite users to join our mailing list and weekly users-group meeting on Zoom as well.

Another approach implemented into Flash by the SILCC group (Walch et al. 2015) was TreeCol (Clark, Glover, et al. 2012).  This was described as TreeRay by Wünsch et al. (2021), which I would certainly recommend as useful reading and insight into what may be available to use.

Best,

Mordecai-Mark Mac Low

--
Mordecai-Mark Mac Low (he/him)  Curator-in-Charge & Professor
+1-212-496-3443          Department of Astrophysics