[FLASH-USERS] particle loss

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 19 09:53:18 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I've been doing some simulations that include active particles using some
modules I've written myself (see Slavin et al. 2020, ApJ 902, 135 for
details). I'm now including the magnetic field and the charge on the dust
grains (particles).

What I'm finding is that in some cases particles are getting lost for
reasons that are not clear to me. I've looped through the output time
series and the previous location and speed of the particles in some cases
would not seem to lead them to move off the grid between time steps. Can
anyone tell me what code decides which particles have been lost? Is it in
the Grid/GridParticles directory? I set pt_keepLostParticles to True, but
I'm not sure what that does exactly. I thought it would keep the particles
in the particles array and output them, but I still lose particles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jonathan D. Slavin
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division