[FLASH-USERS] 2.5 D simulations

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 28 11:06:40 EST 2022

Hi,

I'm interested in carrying out 2.5 D or maybe 1.5 D simulations with Flash,
and am wondering what I need to do in order to make that work. There is
mention of 2.5 D simulations in the manual, but no description of how to do
such simulations. To be clear, by half dimension I mean a direction for
which vectors can have components but which no quantities can depend. So
for example the magnetic field could consist of components Bx(x,y),
By(x,y), Bz(x,y). Or for 1.5 D Bx(x), By(x).
There are many places with Flash code with conditionals like
if (NDIM == 3)...
It seems that for 2.5 D, I'd need to set NDIM to 2, but then it's unclear
to me if the z component of vectors will be included in the calculations.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jonathan D. Slavin (he/him)
Astrophysicist - High Energy Astrophysics Division