[FLASH-USERS] Expansion of Target

Marissa B. P. Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:48:08 EST 2022

It looks to me to be a result of too much numerical diffusion. What CFL is
being used? What order? Solver? Send your *flash.par* Benbayer when you get
the chance.

I am also curious if the expansion looks the same if you multiply it only
by the target species mass fraction for the same pseudo-color scale of
density (same min/max).

Best,
Marissa

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Andy Sha Liao <andy at f.energy> wrote:

> Scott,
>

> The target is not expanding nearly as much on the rear side as it is on
> the front. If the problem is as you described, then the target should
> expand from both vacuum interfaces, but only the irradiated side is
> affected.
>

> Andy
>
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 2:33 PM Scott Feister <sfeister at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Benbayer,
>>
>> This is a well-known issue in our community, for those studying
>> laser-plasma interactions. FLASH treats everything as a plasma. There are
>> no chemical bonds (e.g. solids physics, liquids physics) which are in the
>> code and would physically prevent such expansion. One workaround can be
>> explained better by others, is to "freeze" the hydrodynamics on cells who
>> do not exceed a certain temperature. We can do that using a variable in
>> flash called "BDRY". I will leave it to others to elaborate.
>>
>> As a starting point, search through our past forum discussions for
>> "BDRY". For example, here's a good syntax in Google to search the entire
>> FLASH website:
>> "BDRY site:https://flash.rochester.edu/"
>>

>> https://www.google.com/search?q=BDRY+site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fflash.rochester.edu%2F&oq=BDRY+site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fflash.rochester.edu%2F&aqs=chrome..69i57.4755j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 4:14 AM kouider benbayer <
>> benbayer.kouider at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>> I have observed a problem of expansion of the whole target  over time
>>> instead of expansion at the point where the laser is focused.
>>> I am attaching the pseudo plot of density which shows the expansion of
>>> the target.
>>> Can anyone have a solution to this issue?
>>> Best regards.
>>> Benbayer.

%---------------------------------------------%
Marissa B. P. Adams