[FLASH-USERS] flash 4.6 CCSN run problem

kiyarash Taghiniyarami kiyarash.niyarami at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 12:39:06 EDT 2022

Dear Nilotpal Mukherjee,

I have had the same problem exactly near the bounce(in 2D) and postbounce.
Pumping energy in the zones for my case runs, finally leading to the error
such as imaginary sound speed, zero energy and density of EOS.
I tried to use a more diffusive hydro scheme (as an example from PPM to
WENO or set the artificial viscosity to higher values) for a few thousand
time steps when these errors pop up and then set back hydro setting to the
default. But that is a really tedious way of running the simulation. So I
got rid of the errors but also got the entropy up to even 50 or 60 in some
zones which seem to be unphysical.

When I used the artificial viscosity of 1 or 2 from the start of the
postbounce and use just PPM scheme, I could manage to run without any
errors up to 500 ms (then I stopped it by myself) postbounce and got a more
meaningful physical result according to Evan and Sean paper in 2015 (Shock
radius for 27M star reached to 400km in 221 ms post bounce for heat factor
1.0 and effective angular resolution of 0.75 and did not get any strange
high entropy in the zones  as the earlier case ).
That is what I found by accident. The evolution of shock radius did not
change by changing the artificial viscosity but the entropy in the
post-shock region was different.

Hope the others share their ideas on that.

Best,
Khodayar