[FLASH-USERS] MORE nodes MORE time on HPC

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:12:30 EDT 2022

Hi Zhao,

I'll admit I haven't used the modules you're using so I can't say much on
the performance you've observing vs expected. My guess is that there are
versions of HYPRE with and without parallel support and possibly yours is
operating without parallel support?

If you check towards the end of the log files it specifies
the percentage of time different routines took up. For the one node case,
47% of the evolution time is spent in "RadTrans" most of which occurs in
"Grid_advanceDiffusion" of which most of that time is spent in
gr_hypre_solve (~27% of total walltime) next most expensive is sourceTerms
(37% total walltime) most of which is spent in EnergyDeposition ->
Transport Rays.

In the two node case, the logfile shows that 74% of the simulation time is
spent in RadTrans, mostly (again) in "Grid_advanceDiffusion" and (again)
most of which is spent in gr_hypreSolve (~66%). Given that about twice the
amount of time is spent there compared to the one node case, there's likely
some MPI_BCAST or MPI_ALLREDUCE or other parallel inefficiencies occurring
there. Possibly related to the code not handling well cylindrical geometry
(just speculating).

Looking into those routines may provide future elucidation but I'd start by
exploring your hypre package. Best of luck!

Best,
--------
Ryan