[FLASH-USERS] hdf5 puzzle

Sylvain Turcotte sturcott at UBishops.ca
Wed Jun 22 17:13:04 EDT 2022

 Hi all,

I am running FLASH3.0 and cannot restart runs from checkpoint files produced because the "string runtime parameters" section is absent from the checkpoint file.

I have compared outputs from FLASH4.4 and FLASH3.0 for the same setup making sure that the same compilation options are used and that the relevant parts of io_h5write_lists.c are the same in both versions.
The checkpoint file from FLASH4.4 is ok, but not the one from FLASH3.0.
For some reason I have not figured out, it seems the section is not created by h5Dcreate() in FLASH3.0. This is the only difference I have found between the output files of the two versions. This build of FLASH3.0 has worked with no issues in the past (a couple of years ago).

I currently use (on the graham and cedar clusters of compute Canada):
HDF5_PATH   = /cvmfs/soft.computecanada.ca/easybuild/software/2017/avx2/MPI/intel2016.4/openmpi2.1/hdf5-mpi/1.8.18
CFLAGS_HDF5  = -I$(HDF5_PATH)/include -DH5_USE_16_API
LIB_HDF5    = -L$(HDF5_PATH)/lib -lhdf5 -lz  -lpthread

Any ideas are welcome.
Sylvain