[FLASH-USERS] Problem of 2D cylindrical setup

Po-Yu Chang pchang at mail.ncku.edu.tw
Sun May 22 13:36:47 EDT 2022

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a hydrodynamic problem in 2D cylindrical
coordinate. Therefore, I started from the example "WindTunnel". This
example was originally in the cartesian coordinate. Therefore, I had the
following for the setup:

./setup -auto -2d +Cylindrical WindTunnel -objdir=WindTunnelCyl

I found that in flash.par, the geometry was still set as

"geometry = cartesian"

Therefore, I replaced that line with

"geometry = Cylindrical"

Then, I found that if I set the boundary:

"xl_boundary_type = axisymmetric"

It gave an error message: "Error message is unsupported boundary
condition on Lower Face"

If I replaced the boundary to

"xl_boundary_type = reflect"

Then, it ran without errors.

However, I believe the reflection boundary on the axis is not correct.
It seems like the problem was still under cartesian coordinate even I
set it to cylindrical coordinate during the "./setup" and changed the
geometry to cylindrical in the flash.par. So, what did I miss for
setting the cylindrical coordinate?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Po-Yu