[FLASH-USERS] laser deposition not homogeneous

Garcia Rubio, Fernando fgar at lle.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 9 09:28:16 EST 2022

Hi Antoine,

I have some experience regarding this issue. As far as I know, FLASH does not count with energy deposition smoothing techniques, so this problem is somewhat unavoidable regardless of how many rays you use.

What has been useful to me is to simultaneously increase the temperature of the “vacuum species” (~10 eV) and smooth the edge of the slab using a Tanh profile for density. This would crudely recreate a coronal region where thermal diffusion would smooth the hot spots created by the laser energy deposition.

The only precaution you have to take is that the initial pressure is much smaller than the ablation pressure generated by the laser so that this trick does not affect the dynamics of your problem.

Hope this helps! Let me know otherwise.

Fernando

Fernando García Rubio, PhD
Assistant Scientist