[FLASH-USERS] How to convert a 2d LaserSlab simulation from cylindrical coordinate to cartesian coordinate to get similar results

Wu, Yaoxing wu1587 at purdue.edu
Wed Oct 12 11:15:57 EDT 2022

Dear FLASH users and developers,

I am having a problem was a laser slab simulation in 2D in cartesian. The “example.par” simulation in LaserSlab represents the cylindrical. I’d like to transfer this simulation to cartesian and hope to get similar results because only cartesian could simulate the colliding plasma. However, the electron temperature (Te) in cartesian is lower one magnitude compared to cylindrical (see the attachment).

Below is the main edits that I made to give a cartesian simulation.

example-cyl.par (example.par)                                            example-car.par
ed_laser3Din2D           = .true.                            -->               ed_laser3Din2D          =.false.
ed_lensZ_1                    = -1000.0e-04              -->               ed_lensY_1                    =  -1000.0e-04
ed_targetZ_1                  =  60.0e-04                  -->               ed_targetY_1                  =  60.0e-04
ed_crossSectionFunctionType_1 = "gaussian2D"  -->               ed_crossSectionFunctionType_1 = "gaussian1D"
ed_gridType_1                 = "radial2D"                -->               ed_gridType_1                 = "statistical1D"
rt_mgdXlBoundaryType = "reflecting"                 -->               rt_mgdXlBoundaryType = "vacuum"
rt_mgdYrBoundaryType = "reflecting"                -->               rt_mgdYrBoundaryType = "vacuum"
xl_boundary_type = "reflect"                              -->               xl_boundary_type = "outflow"
geometry = "cylindrical"                                   -->               geometry = "cartesian"
xmin = 0.0                                                       -->               xmin = -40.0e-04

In the cylindrical, the beam crossection is a 2D gaussian distribution, so the “ed_power_” is calculated in double integral. However, in the cartesian, the beam crossection is a 1D gaussian distribution, so the “ed_power_” should be the single integral from -Rx to Rx shown below formula:

[cid:image002.png at 01D8DE90.942A59D0]

Please let me know if more edits were needed for the conversion from cylindrical to cartesian or something wrong for the laser power calculation in cartesian.

Thanks. I would appreciate for your any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Yaoxing Wu
Huazhong University of Science and Technology