[FLASH-USERS] Significant difference was found in 2d LaserSlab simulation between in cylindrical and cartesian coordiates

Wu, Yaoxing wu1587 at purdue.edu
Wed Oct 19 23:54:34 EDT 2022

Dear Flash users & developers,

I am having a problem was the simulation in 2D cartesian based on LaserSlab. The “example.par” simulation in LaserSlab is in cylindrical coordiates. I’d like to transfer this simulation to cartesian and hope to get similar results. However, the electron temperature (Te) in cartesian is lower 1-2 order of magnitude compared to cylindrical (see attached pictures) at same laser spot size, pulse duration and energy. Could you please tell me the reason?

Because the 3D-in-2D ray trace algorithm can only be used in the cylindrical coordinate, the laser cross section was set to “gaussian1D” in cartesian. Then I think the laser power at a moment should be calculated by a single integral (shows below):

[cid:image002.png at 01D8E47A.B820A5C0]

The laser energy was checked from the output file “lasslab_LaserEnergyProfile.dat” and was same with the setup in .par file. So I do not know why the Te in 2D cartesian was much lower than that in 2D cylindrical.

I would appreciate for your any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Regards,
Yaoxing Wu