[FLASH-USERS] Scaling problems

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Wed Apr 5 11:06:06 EDT 2023

Hi Pedro,

One point of follow-up regarding your sigbus error - it looks like this is
a memory access error. I'm wondering if you're requesting more logical
cores than physical cores exist on the machine. I've found that to be
problematic in the past.

It sounds like Lee might have the answer to your issue regarding too few
zones per proc. One point I'm confused about though is whether you're
studying strong or weak scaling. Based on your response to Paco and I
checked the FLASH users guide, for uniform grid mode there's one block per
processor -- and the number of zones per block are fixed at compile time
(usually) so doesn't that mean you're increasing the amount of work
proportional to the number of processors you use? In that case, seeing a
constant "speedup" suggests good weak scaling.

Best,
--------
Ryan