[FLASH-USERS] Help with Z-pinch example.

Alvaro Sanchez alvaro.sanchez at greentownsbyfusion.com
Wed Apr 12 11:51:58 EDT 2023

Hello dear folks from FLASH community, a pleasure to be here.

I'm new in FLASH so I still probably have beginner mistakes and questions, but I really need help with a couple of things, so thank you very much in advance :)

We are working on a Z-pinch, using the example as a template, so we are trying to understand pretty much everything (or as much as possible) it has.

First is a very basic thing, density units. We suppose g/cm^3. The problem we have with the example is the high density of vacuum, even the density of the fill seems too high for us, as well as the density during the stagnation period. We've been researching and, in almost every seen paper, number density is used.
So, to check densities in our simulation (we removed the liner btw) we compare with these papers by multiplying the FLASH density in the Z-pinch example with DD mass in grams (for the fill). And we get much lower values than those used in BC and simulated in the example (which could make sense, since our Z-pinch is a different one). We are also using lower values as initial conditions because we need, during our stagnation period, values of 1e17 cm^-3 for dens.

Are we making a mistake calculating the number density?
We've seen, in ../HydroMain/unsplit/MHD_StaggeredMesh/hy_uhd_getFaceCurrents.F90

!! Compute electron number density at (i,j,k)
nele_rght = ye * hy_avogrado * U(DENS_VAR,i,j,k)

SO, we are worried about being wrong since the beginning.

We found that .F90 in our search of the interpolation of the current from the Circuit source term. We don't understand how FLASH spatially interpolates the input current (we use the FileInput way) in a 2D cylindrical axisymmetric plane.
Does someone know where in the internal code is this issue coded? or...
Does someone know how it works? Does it goes through the higher density the higher the current density? Or am I completely wrong?

Thank you very very much if you read it, I really appreciate it, so thank you very much.

Any help is always nice, have a good day.