[FLASH-USERS] FLASH increasing AMR through lrefine_max and running into MAXBLOCKS issue

Sharma, Divyanshu Raj sharma22 at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 1 18:38:45 EDT 2023

Hi Flash Users,

I am trying to increase lrefinemax and see where the solution converges on the LaserSlab example. When doing this and taking lrefinemax from 9 to 16 I ran into a bunch of inconsistent errors. The main errors are shown below. It is just weird because I know that MAXBLOCKS is set to 1000 by default and I can increase it but would that take care of the other errors. I also was wondering if there was any intuition on how much should MAXBLOCKS be changed by and if that would have an impact on the runtime of the simulations or is it just once in allocating the memory.

Lrefine_max = 9:
ERROR: could not move all blocks in amr_redist_blk
  Try increasing maxblocks or use more processors

Lrefine_max = 10:
Time limit exceeded (weird cause it didn't burnout like 9)

Lrefine_max = 11:
Same as 10

Lrefine_max = 12:
Same as 10

Lrefine_max = 13:
[hy_uhd_unsplitUpdateMultiTemp] Negative 3T internal energy, CHECK LOG
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 46

Lrefine_max = 14:
Too many blocks!  Increase MAXBLOCKS or use more processors.
application called MPI_Abort(comm=0x84000006, 32767) - process 140

Lrefine_max = 15:
[hy_uhd_unsplitUpdateMultiTemp] Negative 3T internal energy, CHECK LOG

Lrefine_max = 16:
Too many blocks!  Increase MAXBLOCKS or use more processors.
application called MPI_Abort(comm=0x84000006, 32767) - process 117