[FLASH-USERS] How to achieve static pressure balance in FLASH

Alan Calder alan.calder at stonybrook.edu
Sun Aug 13 12:01:38 EDT 2023

Hi Yang,

Typically one writes a routine that integrates the equation of HSE as you
wrote and constructs the background pressure accordingly. When I ran the
R-T problem in ancient days, the setup would be given the ratio of
densities at the interface and a pressure there, then integrate HSE up and
down to get the pressure that would provide balance.

I *think* the distribution of Flash comes with a problem called RTFlame
that is for a R-T unstable flame. You might have a look at that as a start.

Hope this helps!

Alan

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 11:36 AM YGW <gwyang991314 at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi Flash User Group,
>
> I am trying to set up a classic RT instability case. The upper layer of
> material is CH, and the lower layer is He. After adding constant gravity,
> the interface will move. How should I set a static pressure balance?  How
> to reflect the static pressure balance formula(dp/dz=-\rho g) in FLASH to
> enable FLASH to understand the pressure (P) I set?
>

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Yang

Alan C. Calder
Department of Physics and Astronomy