[FLASH-USERS] Is the ​implicit magnetic diffusion solver can be used for axial magnetic field in FLASH4.7

Petros Tzeferacos p.tzeferacos at rochester.edu
Tue Feb 28 12:52:07 EST 2023

Dear Ryan,

FLASH development will continue leveraging Paramesh for the time being,
while we accelerate select compute-heavy physics modules with GPUs for new
and future architectures. The GPU capabilities are now being tested and
slated for the next major FLASH release, later this calendar year.

With warm best wishes,
-- Petros

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 12:28 PM Ryan Farber <rjfarber at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi Eddie, since you mentioned active development, do you know if there's
> any status update for FLASH 5.0? Or plans for FLASH 4.X to upgrade from
> PARAMESH/Chombo to AMReX or other grids that can scale to leverage
> new/upcoming exaflop machines?
>
> Best,
> --------
> Ryan
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM Hansen, Eddie <ehansen at pas.rochester.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Zhang,
>>

>> The ZPinch example problem is not specific to any experiment, so a
>> general Z-pinch only requires an azimuthal field. That being said, FLASH
>> 4.7 does indeed support the implicit diffusion of an axial field but only
>> for uniform grid setups (+ug). We are actively working on implementing AMR
>> support for future releases.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Eddie Hansen
>>
>> Research Scientist
>>
>> Flash Center for Computational Science
>>

>> *From: *flash-users <flash-users-bounces at flash.rochester.edu> on behalf
>> of Zhang Daoyuan <zdy0903 at stu.xjtu.edu.cn>
>> *Date: *Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 9:08 AM
>> *To: *flash-users at flash.rochester.edu <flash-users at flash.rochester.edu>
>> *Subject: *[FLASH-USERS] Is the implicit magnetic diffusion solver can
>> be used for axial magnetic field in FLASH4.7
>>
>> Dear Flash Developers,
>>

>> Thank you for the release of FLASH4.7. I want to ask if the newly added implicit magnetic diffusion solver can be used for axial magnetic field in R-Z 2D simulation. When I look at the "Zpinch" simulation example, I find that the axial magnetic field is not initialized. This is weird because I believe the "Zpinch" case is actually an example of MagLIF experiment. It should have axial magnetic field.
>>
>> Can we use the axial magnetic field in Zpinch simulation? Thank you very much!
>>

>> Yours
>>
>> Zhang

Petros Tzeferacos (he / him / his)

Director, Flash Center for Computational Science
Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
Senior Scientist, Laboratory for Laser Energetics
University of Rochester
Bausch and Lomb Hall, 370
500 Wilson Blvd. PO Box 270171, Rochester, NY 14627
Office 585-275-6751 Cell 773-484-3085
Email p.tzeferacos at rochester.edu
Web https://flash.rochester.edu