[FLASH-USERS] Laser Energy Depositing

Hansen, Eddie ehansen at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Jul 15 08:02:25 EDT 2023

This just sounds like the dependence of intensity on incident angle which should be proportional to cos^2(theta) (or sin^2(theta) depending on how you’re defining theta). So I can see a situation where the laser goes through the foils when it is exactly perpendicular to the foils if the laser power is very high. Then as you aim the laser to smaller angles (wrt the horizontal), the intensity goes down allowing the foils to absorb more. At some point (I guess 30-40 degrees as you observed), more of the laser is reflected than absorbed.

--
Eddie Hansen
Research Scientist