[FLASH-USERS] about setup a designed target configuration

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Wed May 24 10:28:26 EDT 2023

Hi Hua Shu,

I'd suggest reading the user guide (available here:
https://flash.rochester.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/) which has a
wealth of information.

To your question, you can modify your problem set up by navigating to the
problem directory. For LaserSlab that's located:

${FLASH_DIR}/FLASH4.7/source/Simulation/SimulationMain/LaserSlab/

Then, modify Simulation_initBlock.F90 in your preferred text editor. In
particular you probably want to modify these lines:

           if (sim_initGeom == "slab") then

              if(NDIM == 1) then

                 if ( xcent(i) <= sim_targetHeight + sim_vacuumHeight .and.
&

                      xcent(i) >= sim_vacuumHeight ) then

                    species = TARG_SPEC

                 end if

              elseif(NDIM == 2 .or. NDIM == 3) then

                 if ( xcent(i) <= sim_targetRadius .and. &

                      ycent(j) <= sim_targetHeight + sim_vacuumHeight .and.
&

                      ycent(j) >= sim_vacuumHeight ) then

                    species = TARG_SPEC

                 end if

              end if

           else

               if (*sqrt*(xcent(i)**2+ycent(j)**2+zcent(k)**2)<=
sim_targetRadius)
then

                  species = TARG_SPEC

              end if

           end if

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a ripple target. Maybe instead of a
spherical/cylindrical selection just add some sines and cosines?

Best,
--------
Ryan