[FLASH-USERS] Question about magnetic field behavior in Flash's ZPinch simulation

Gines Garcia gines.garcia at greentownsbyfusion.com
Thu May 25 05:09:53 EDT 2023

Thank you for your response.

I have one more question regarding this. In my case, I have a modified ZPinch simulation where the Line specie has been removed, leaving only Fill and Vacuum. In this simulation, we tried to initialize a Bennet pseudo-equilibrium (as close as possible, since it is challenging to initialize in equilibrium since in the first timestep magz=0 meanwhile thermal pressure already makes the fill move to the right). Still, we got close to the parameter's radial profiles (mainly density, temp, and magnetic field) of the equilibrium according to the literature. Theoretically, the magnetic field should go smoothly down to zero at the axis from the peak at the fill column radius (Image 1). In our case, however, the magnetic field abruptly goes to zero at the left side of the fill column radius (Image 2). I believe this is because the magnetic field barely diffuses through the Fill. Outside the Fill, everything behaves as it should. We did not change diffusion runtime parameters from those of the default Z-pinch (DaviesWen, parallel, implicit, vacuum res...)
Do you have any suggestions to fix this problem with the magnetic diffusion? By the way, we read a previous conversation on a similar subject where a bug in the HYPRE solver was found and fixed with a patch we also used.

Thank you very much for your help and attention.

Best regards