[FLASH-USERS] output files: Getting started guide?

Joe Frisch joseffrisch at google.com
Thu Oct 5 19:55:22 EDT 2023

Just getting started with FLASH just got the sedov code (with the default
parameters) to run, trying to understand the output files.  For example
there is a hdf5 output file sedov_hdf5_plt_cnt_0000

That contains grid data in 'coordinates"  which has 53 x,y,z locations

There is also "pres' (presumably pressure) , 'temp"
(presumably temperature)  and desdata.

Those objects are 4-dimensional:   [53,1,8,8]
where is that defined / described?
The 53 presumably maps onto the 53 plot coordinates.  But 8X8??  Those seem
to be either initial or final state, but not in a pattern I can decypher

Is the plot file format , or more specifically the fields in the plot file
defined somewhere?

Maybe this is the wrong approach and I should just use yt?   does yt
provide access to all the data for analysis or is it just a plotting tool?