[FLASH-USERS] Trying to use viscosity

Maximus Allfree mall7710 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Sat Oct 7 02:21:13 EDT 2023

Hey FLASH Users,

I am having some problems with diffusion and viscosity. I am trying to run RMI simulations and have required these in the config file:

REQUIRES Driver
REQUIRES physics/Hydro/HydroMain/split/PPM
REQUIRES Multispecies/MultispeciesMain
REQUIRES physics/Eos/EosMain/Multigamma
REQUIRES physics/Diffuse/DiffuseFluxBased

In the flash user documentation it mentioned that HYDRO PPM was needed for diffusive effects, so I am using that. Before I was just using physics/Hydro. I also am using DiffuseFluxBased so I can use heat conduction and viscosity.

I have the following parameters in the config file to set the required runtime variables. I have also set these in the flash.par file, but they don't seem to do anything? They aren't overriding the config file default values. Not sure if I have done something wrong here, or if they're not meant to be used in the flash.par file:

# Diffusive parameters:
D useDiffuse flags whether the Diffuse unit is being used at all
PARAMETER   useDiffuse          BOOLEAN     true

D useDiffuseTherm flags whether Diffuse_therm should contribute to fluxes
PARAMETER   useDiffuseTherm     BOOLEAN     true

D useDiffuseVisc flags whether Diffuse_visc should contribute to fluxes
PARAMETER   useDiffuseVisc      BOOLEAN     true
D useViscosity flags whether the viscosity material property is being used
PARAMETER   useViscosity        BOOLEAN     true

D diff_visc_mu constant dynamic viscosity
PARAMETER   diff_visc_mu        REAL        0.1         [ to ]

D diff_visc_nu constant kinematic viscosity
PARAMETER   diff_visc_nu        REAL        0.1         [ to ]

D visc_whichCoefficientIsConst which is constant: (1 for dynamic, 2 for kinematic)
PARAMETER   visc_whichCoefficientIsConst    INTEGER     1   [1 to 2]

Anyway, when I try to make the code, I am getting this error:

/opt/homebrew/Cellar/mpich/4.1.2/bin/mpif90 -ggdb -c -O2 -fdefault-real-8 -fdefault-double-8 -Wuninitialized -fallow-argument-mismatch -ffree-line-length-none  -DMAXBLOCKS=1 -DNXB=45 -DNYB=32 -DNZB=1 -DN_DIM=2 Diffuse_visc.F90

Diffuse_visc.F90:225:59:

  225 |               call Viscosity(U(:,i,j,k),viscDynamic(i,j,k).viscUnusedHere(i,j,k), component=1)

      |                                                           1

Error: Syntax error in argument list at (1)

Diffuse_visc.F90:327:52:

  327 |               call Viscosity(U(:,i,j,k),viscDynamic(i,j,k).viscUnusedHere(i,j,k), component=1)

      |                                                    1

Error: Syntax error in argument list at (1)

Diffuse_visc.F90:411:52:

  411 |               call Viscosity(U(:,i,j,k),viscDynamic(i,j,k).viscUnusedHere(i,j,k), component=1)

      |                                                    1

Error: Syntax error in argument list at (1)

make: *** [Diffuse_visc.o] Error 1

I looked into the Diffuse_visc.F90 file, and I was wondering whether the full stops are meant to be commas? It feels unlikely that this would be a FLASH error and far more likely I have done something wrong with implementing diffusion / viscosity as I am new to FLASH but I figured I would ask if anyone else has had problems with this.

Cheers for reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Max