[FLASH-USERS] Question about total mass in ZPinch example

Alvaro Sanchez alvaro.sanchez at greentownsbyfusion.com
Fri Oct 27 05:51:49 EDT 2023

Hello dear Flash users,

I have a concern about the ZPinch example, we have calculated total mass in a lot of variations of this example and we arrived at the conclusion that compression increases the total mass within the domain.

In our experiments this happens when there are no outflow boundary, so the domain is closed. In the original ZPinch example this is not the case (since it has outlfow), but still it can be observed the mass increasing by a factor of ten (show in attached picture)

We also calculated total mass in the Orszang-Tang example, and we also observed a weird increase in mass of 40%

Do you know what's happening here?

Thank you very much for your answer 🙂