[FLASH-USERS] Flash use for incompressible turbulence

Mordecai-Mark Mac Low mordecai at amnh.org
Sun Feb 4 17:37:46 EST 2024

Hi Akash,

The Flash code is tuned for compressible flow: it solves the transport equations with a Godunov shock capturing method.  However, it is a low-order method (second or third order as chosen), which will not give particularly good accuracy.

Incompressible turbulent flow problems are therefore usually solved with either high-order or spectral methods that do not work well in the presence of shocks, but are much more accurate for smooth flows.

Best,

Mordecai