[FLASH-USERS] possible errors in viscous diffusive flux in hydro unsplit

Fabien Thiesset fabien.thiesset at cnrs.fr
Mon Feb 19 16:16:03 EST 2024

Dear all,

I double checked the viscous diffusive fluxes for the momentum equation
in the hydro unsplit solver. I use version 4.7.1 and the file under
consideration is
source/physics/Hydro/HydroMain/unsplit/hy_uhd_addViscousFluxes.F90.

In theory, the diffusive flux of velocity component i in direction j
should write

2 mu S_{ij} - \mu/3 \theta \delta_{ij},

where S_{ij} is the strain rate tensor, \delta_{ij} the kronecker delta,
\theta = div(u) and \mu the dynamic viscosity.

If I am not mistaken, I found 2 errors in the computations of the
viscous fluxes of u along x direction (it is called F02XMOM_FLUX in the
code)

- the first appears at line 106-108, to compute du/dy that constitutes
the diffusive flux of u in x direction. I think a 1/2 factor is missing.

- the second appears at line 122-124, to compute dw/dz that constitute
the diffusive flux of u in x direction. There is some mix between
VELY_VAR and VELZ_var to compute the gradient. It should be VELZ_VAR
everywhere.

Can anyone have a look and confirm ? If it is indeed the case, is there
a git repo for flash to raise an issue and provide the fix ?

I will tomorrow have a look also the diffuse flux for the energy
equation and the viscous heating. I need also to check the Diffusive
fluxes for the momentum equation for the split solver. I did it quickly
this morning and it looked ok. I will anyway write a follow-up.

Thanks everyone !