[FLASH-USERS] What is the detailed formats of the detector files ("es20.10" and "es15.5") in Thomson Scattering

Wu, Yaoxing wu1587 at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 5 19:40:30 EST 2024

Dear FLASH users and developers,

I am using the Thomson Scattering (TS) unit in the diagnostic unit. There are 2 types of output files generated by the TS unit which are “_ThomsonDetectorFile_” and “_ThomsonSpectrumFile_”. The “_ThomsonDetectorFile_” has many columns without any headers. Could someone please tell me about what plasma parameters and units each column represents?

The “_ThomsonSpectrumFile_” has 3 columns. I know the first two columns are wavelength and detected intensity of TS spectrum, respectively. However, what is the unit of the intensity? (J/s or erg/s ?) What the third column represents?

The manual shows that the “detectorXYwriteFormat” parameter controls formatted ascii output of the ray (x, y) pairs on the detector screens (default ’es20.10’). Could someone please tell me where could find more details about the format of “es20.10” and “es 15.5” for the detector files?

I would very appreciate for any help about the detector files format. Thanks.

Best regards,
Yaoxing