[FLASH-USERS] fullaniso magnetic diffusion in the ZPinch example problem

Heath LeFevre hjlefe at umich.edu
Tue Mar 19 18:19:26 EDT 2024

Hello,

I am trying to use the anisotropic magnetic resistivity in the ZPinch
example problem. When I change resistivityForm to "fullaniso", the magnetic
fields, and magnetic energy, go to zero. When resistivityForm is
"perpendicular" there is heating and magnetic fields generated from the
current.dat input file.

I changed the problem to 2D, so that having parallel and perpendicular
terms make sense. I am using a uniform grid and the implicit solver. I
attached my flash.par file, the log file, and the .dat file.

I read sections 18.1.6 and 14.3.5.3 of the manual, but I can't see what I'm
doing wrong. It seems like changing from "perpendicular" to "fullaniso"
should be all that is necessary to add the terms when solving the equations
on a uniform grid. I also looked through the diff_advanceMag.F90 and
DaviesWen MagneticResistivity_fullState.F90 files to see if there was an
issue, but I couldn't find anything.

Does the problem have to do with using the implicit solver?

I would be very happy to hear suggestions from folks who have had success
with this.

Thanks,
Heath
--